Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Self Promotion and a Great Recycling Project!

Self Promotion

Today, Wednesday June 30th, I am in the jewelry showcase on Etsy. This is a great opportunity for me to sell some of my new polymer clay pieces.

I did a pattern showcase a while back, which got me a lot of item views, but no purchases. We will see how it goes with this showcase. If I manage to sell an item or two, it might be worth it, but otherwise, I'm sure I can find more effective advertising measures. I have not done any craft shows yet, but if I can get a really good supply of items made and some ideas for a table, I might do that as well.



Great Recycling Project!


Plarn is plastic yarn, or yarn made from recycled plastic bags. It is great for making rugs, reusable shopping bags, drink coasters, and other great crafts. The image is some plarn made by CharmingClassicality

This video explains how to make plarn! - How to make plarn!

Because plarn is made from plastic, it generates static electricity, which traps dirt and dust. This is great for an entryway mat to help keep from tracking dirt from the outside in. Rugs can be hosed down and dry quickly, making them easy-maintenance.

Plarn can be combined with traditional yarns to add color and texture. This also adds to the life of your finished product!

Try one of these crochet projects with your stash of plastic bags!:

Plarn Satchel

Circular Plarn Rug

Plarn Soap Dish

HINT! - If you are looking for something more colorful and don't have any pretty colored plastic bags, try purchasing some surveyors tape!

1 comment:

onesnevertooold said...

Very interesting and a great idea in helping to keep bags out of our landfills! Kudos to you Krafters!!